Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
NumenoreanLord
Council Member
Send Message
Post Casting for the Hobbit
on: December 18, 2007 07:30
I was just wondering who people had in mind for the characters in the upcoming Hobbit movies?
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Casting for the Hobbit
on: December 19, 2007 04:22
Oh wow. Now that's going to be a mammoth task, as most people will want to see Ian McKellen as Gandalf, and who else but Hugo Weaving can be Elrond.

As far as the other parts are concerned, my my. I suppose there are plenty of actors to fit the bill and they would be male actors, as there weren't many, if any, females in the Hobbit, were there?

Now there's another thing, are the Female Brigades going to be up in arms about that. Lol!! It's ok, I am female so I can pick on female rights.

It would be lovely if they could manage to computer generate Ian Holm as Bilbo. :hug: But Sir Ian isn't getting any younger, bless him, nor Sir Ian McKellen. *sigh* And Gollum wouldn't be Gollum if it isn't Andy Serkis.

As long as Tom Cruise isn't asked, or Kevin Costner *groan*, I'll be fine with whoever they choose.

So bottom line, for me

Gandalf = Ian McKellen
Elrond = Hugo Weaving
Bilbo = Computer regenerated Ian Holm
Gollum = Andy Serkis

Oooh, and Sean Connery's voice as Smaug. *faints away* Gotta love that Scottish accent*.
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: December 19, 2007 12:07
if gollum, elrond, and gandalf arent the same im going to be really mad.
Tulcadhiel_Greenleaf
News Admin & Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 01, 2008 06:28
Who do you think should get the part of Thranduil in the upcoming Hobbit movies? I've heard they are considering Orlando Bloom, but as much as I like him, I don't think he should get the part...everyone knows him as Legolas, and personally I think it would be a little to weird for him to play Legolas' father if you know what I mean...I would like to see him get a little screen time in as Legolas himself.

So...what about Ioan Gruffudd as Thranduil? I know after seeing him in The Fantastic Four and Amazing Grace it could seem odd, but seriously...it could work. Just like Orlando Bloom in RL, Gruffudd has brown hair...but Bloom transformed wonderfully into a blonde, so maybe Gruffudd could also...
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2008 09:43
Gruffud might do good, actually. Though, it would be a little weird to see him with blonde hair and pointy ears . What I'm worried about, however, is if he can protray the aura of authority that Thranduil holds. He's seemed to be able to play the shy more laid back charaacters fairly well, but I worry if he would be able to play a more.... what is the word.... agressive character. Though, Thranduil wasn't nessecarily "agressive" persay, he still had that sense of power and authority. It's kind of hard to really put into words.

For the whole Orlando Bloom idea of being Thranduil. They would seriously need to change his appearance or something. Otherwise, he's just gonna end up looking like Legolas. I would rather him just be Legolas and have someone else play Thranduil, but if they must use him, they had better do something at least a little different with his costume and makeup.
Hmmmmm.... I wonder what Liam Neeson would look like in a blonde wig and pointy ears. Hey, he's played Orlando's father before. LOL
Magoleth
Faerie Godmother of Nienna & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: January 04, 2008 02:09
All very well but who would you put in the 12 Dwarves parts?

I think that Brett (Gimli's body double) should get a part, but not of course as Gimli!

I wonder if Richard Armitage would look good as Thranduil? For those of you who don't know - he played Guy of Gisborne in the latest Robin Hood.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: January 04, 2008 05:15
GUY?? The wily weasel?? Well, if they can shave his dark stubble and plop a blond wig on him, it might be interesting at that.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
mayrhi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2008 10:47
Actually either Armitage or Gruffud could play that role - think of Gruffud as Lancelot in King Arthur - he had a menacing air at times & as for Armitage -as weasly as his character is in Robin Hood, he does have a certain regal quality to his looks.

As an Aussie, I would like to see what Hugh Jackman could do - along the lines of Kate & Leopold.....merely a comment...don't go ballistic!

[Edited on 5/1/2008 by mayrhi]
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2008 03:22
I'll go for David Bowie.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: January 05, 2008 04:03
So...what about Ioan Gruffudd as Thranduil?
Oh yes please!! I noticed him for the first time last night and was going to suggest him for an elf-part of some kind, but I see that's already been done.

Last night I watched my DVD of Great Expectations in which he played Pip! He is utterly gorgeous and heart-stopping and his acting is superb. The role of Pip demands a great range of mood and circumstance and he can handle it.

I mean .. if only they'd do Turin? ... (thud)

BTW Bernard Hill played the convict Magwitch. Great death-scene ... again. Dies really well does our Bernard.
NumenoreanLord
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2008 03:27
another good article with the possibilities for the cast.
[/u][u]http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/01/07/28227-speculation-on-hobbit-casting/#more-28227
mayrhi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2008 12:51
Good article NumenoreanLord.

I think Daniel Day Lewis as Bard would be brilliant. Ralph Fiennes as Tharanduil because he has the facial bone structure for an elf....and I like Colin Firth as Bilbo...looks a bit Hobbitish!
Definately Jeremy Irons for the voice of Smaug...love Sean Connery but he will always be the 'other' dragon and tooooo smooth for Smaug!
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2008 01:14
I agree with everything, mayrhi, except for Jeremy Irons. I would rather have an unknown voice that can't be picked out as a certain actor upon hearing it. I would rather just hear the character than the actor. Now the actor does not have to be completely unkown, but I would like him to be either a rising or "just starting" star.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2008 01:23
Wow...haven't thought much about it really, but I think Gerard Butler as Bard would be fantastic. I really do.

I will say that Colin Firth does look hobbitish, but I'm not sure he could do Bilbo...I don't know why, just my opinion.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
mayrhi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2008 12:34
Gerard Butler....drool...just seen PS I Love You...yum!

Why I thought Jeremy Irons is because his voice has a certain evil quality...like in Dungeons & Dragons.
Ezraela
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2008 04:30
LOL Gerard Butler would be an interesting add - especially for the fan girls!!!

I do like Irons as an actor, but, as I said earlier, his voice is a little too well known. I'd like a voice that isn't completely recognizable when you hear it. It wouldn't kill me though to see Irons play the part; he'd probably do a really great job with it.
Imahobbitgirl2
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: March 14, 2008 04:37
Okay, I was just looking up the character description in The Hobbit book and I got a pretty wild idea. This is just a thought, but how about John Rhys-Davies as Beorn? He's big, with a scraggly black beard and that deep, booming voice he has I think would suit the character perfectly. (Besides, how cool would it be for "Gimli" -- so to speak -- to be in the same scene as Gloin! ) Plus, he wouldn't have to wear any prosthetics!
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2008 04:41
OOh, not a wild idea at all, Imahobbit. I could certainly see John Rhys-Davies as Beorn. He is 6'1". No I couldn't believe that after seeing him as Gimli, perspective shots or not. Lol!! I think with him great booming voice, he would definitely bring Beorn to life.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2008 05:25
I really hope the same actors play the same characters as last time... otherwise it would just ruin the whole film... I'm really looking forward to seeing Smaug, myself. We haven't actually seen a dragon in Tolkien-based films yet, well, apart from the firework, but that doesn't really count.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2008 11:02
I'd love to see Viggo as Bard and Ian as Gandalf.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2008 12:31
I love to see Jason Isaacs as Thranduil, Hugo Weaving as Elrond, Ian McKellen as Gandalf. I'm not sure who I'd like to see as the other characters. And ofcourse Andy Serkis should voice Gollum again!!
Alatáriël_Telemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2008 07:49
Hmmmmm.... I wonder what Liam Neeson would look like in a blonde wig and pointy ears. Hey, he's played Orlando's father before. LOL

LOL!
That'll be awesome, really. I mean, he had the Legolas 'do in Star Wars, no?
Ioan Grufudd as Thranduil? I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with that notion. True, he plays the quiet type well so I don't see our dear Ioan playing an elf-lord who loves jewels. xD

HUGO FOR ELROND!!
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: May 16, 2008 01:04
If Ian Holme couldn't do it, I could live with James McAvoy as Bilbo.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Imahobbitgirl2
Send Message
on: May 16, 2008 01:23
My votes for definites:

Hugo as Elrond
Andy as Gollum
We've already got Ian McKellan

My votes for possibilities:

Jason Isaacs as Thranduil (we already know he looks good in a blond wig! )
Legolas coming back and replacing Thranduil's leutenant (something for the Legolas fans)
A 10-year-old boy (named Estel or Aragorn) who just HAPPENS to be staying with Elrond
John-Rhys-Davies as Beorn
Ian Holm narrating (He could be telling the story to some young hobbit children -- possibly even our heroes as kids )
If Ian Holm doesn't, Sean Astin could narrate in the same sort of way -- telling the story to his kids.

Viggo as Bard? He's already Aragorn.
James McAvoy as Young Bilbo? Nah, he's too "Tookish" (in more ways than one) Bilbo is half-Took, but he takes after his Baggins side, not his Took side.
Ven
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2008 05:35
Ian McKellan as Gandalf
Hugo Weaving as Elrond
Andy Serkis as Gollum
Eric Bana as Bard
Jason Isaacs as Thranduil
Robbie Coltrane as Beorn
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 19, 2008 01:27
With the exception of those returning to play "themselves" (Gandalf, Elrond), I'd like to see entirely new casting. I'm not keen to see Orlando or Viggo return as "new" characters. Don't get me wrong- I loved them in LOTR- but they are Legolas and Aragorn to me.
I wouldn't mind seeing Ian Holm in a sequence where he's briefly remembering his adventure (maybe we can see him welcoming a young Frodo into Bag End at the end of the movie or something), but he shouldn't be the younger Bilbo. How about the guy who played Jonathan Creek? He's got the hair! (Just kidding!)
I like Richard Armitage as Bard.
John Rhys-Davies as Beorn is a very interesting idea, but I think people will hear him and think Gimli, even though he'd look different.
Why don't they just try and get that blond elf from the prologue of FOTR to do Thranduil? I think it was generally accepted (by some) that he was meant to symbolize Thranduil.

I have no idea what Smaug will look like, but the voice is very, very important, of course...no real ideas there on my part.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 29, 2008 01:50
Well it looks like from the article on Christopher Tolkien and the filming rights (see front page) that Viggo has been contacted about showing up as Aragorn. I guess that's fairly official?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: May 30, 2008 12:30
According to this article. Scottish actor james McAvoy has been picked to play Bilbo.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: May 30, 2008 03:11
I don't think the role of Bilbo is set in stone yet, but I've been hoping that McAvoy gets it.

Definitely not Daniel Radcliffe or Jack Black.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Imahobbitgirl2
Send Message
on: May 30, 2008 07:07
Oh, DEFINITELY not. (*shudders*) Harry Potter and that wierd guy from School of Rock that I don't like? NO!!!
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: May 31, 2008 11:21
Jack Black has got to be a joke. I'd boycott the films if they cast him.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2008 11:44
I'd be in the 'boycott' queue with you Rivka. Jack Black!! Good grief. I can't believe they would even consider him!

And if they consider Daniel Radcliffe as a candidate for Bilbo, and he being 20 +, then surely Elijah Wood should be in there.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 03, 2008 03:33
I think I could live with McAvoy. He's still relatively unknown to a lot of people, hasn't been overexposed....like Elijah was a good choice for Frodo. He has a "hobbity" sort of look. And he was good as Mr. Tumnus.
But Jack Black....no way!

Edited to say: ok, I just googled JM and apparently he's more popular than I thought...guess I'm really out of the loop

[Edited on 6/3/2008 by Aowyn]
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: June 04, 2008 05:44
Has anyone checked out the British actor, Martin Freeman? HERE is his web site and his picture on the home page looks pretty hobbit-y to me. *winks*
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: June 05, 2008 01:13
The guy from The Office? I can actually see that, surprisingly enough. Not sure if he has the acting chops for it, though.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email